Friday, April 17, 2009

FAA Radar at Windy Hill Naval Air Station


I may try to attach a Pdf of this site, at some point, to show ya'll what I do, don't have the drawing done at this time, for this job, that part has only just begun,..however, wanted to just give a shout to something on the site that we did not shoot, and when you see the survey, I'm assuming here momma will be able to help me post a pdf file, I can make those pretty easily,..anyway, what you'll see there is a gap where this FAA Radar Station is,..and what it looks like is just this huge white ball, (the one above seems to be quite a bit smaller than the one there, it was HUGE),..and apparently controls one of the airports down there,..the guy in charge of construction there was telling me which one,..and I guess I'm gonna have to start putting on my reporter cap, and taking better notes,.. because I can't seem to remember what he said,..however, there are several airports close there, and it seems he said something about the Atlanta Airport,..anyway,..the closest Naval Airport is only two miles away, and we saw, and heard,..(another semi-loud site,..not nearly as bad as Embassy Suites) several low-flying jets, of the TOP GUN variety,..

Here's something I found on the internet that I would assume is what the inside of that thing looks like,..




NAS Atlanta is very close,..but I don't think that's the one he was talking about, and, apparently this Radar is one of the biggest, capable of broadcasting its signal 500 nautical miles.

3 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

I would think that area is radar central, I know that part of the sky is always busy.
Looking forward to seeing the drawings.
SQ

Stanley K. Draper, R.L.S. said...

we didn't actually shoot the radar station, we shot the base around it,..it's a big square inside of our survey tho',.. pretty strange,..and aren't you little miss informed,...I had never heard of "radar central",.. hmm,.. I feel dumb now. ha ha,..

SquirrelQueen said...

you tend to pick up a lot of odd terms living in the Great White North. Anchorage is home to a large Air Force base, they scrambled the F-15's on a regular basis to go play with their Russian counterparts.
And then there was White Alice. LOL
SQ